Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why I want to teach

Many people have asked me this question, only for me to brush it off with a diplomatic answer of doing public service to the nation. Deep in my heart, I know I need to have a comprehensive answer to account for my switch in career to teach. Here are the reasons:
1. I want to use this chance to do my Masters. I felt that being in the teaching line - gives me the best chance of doing well in my studies. I can pursue knowledge, gain wisdom and share my learnings with my students. It's a win-win-win situation for the institution, the students and me.

2. I want to do something that is more aligned to my interests. I love to do public speaking. I started my journey on Toastmasters 5 years ago and am still loving the feeling of doing a speech in front of an audience. Putting an interest as a job - is as good as it gets. I get paid for doing my job, which can only motivate me to do work - beyond just carrying it as a mundane task.

3. This institution has similar values with me. For one, it belongs in learning and development, placing much emphasis on the need to carry out Problem-Based Learning (PBL) effectively and invests in conducting a wide spectrum of courses. I believe that it is only through learning that I constantly and continually become a more well-rounded person.
4. There are avenues to pursue my interest. I believe a job is not just an avenue to pay one's bills, but allows for dreams to come true. I have thought of carrying out community outreach project, doing outdoor adventure camps, heading an overseas trip, setting up a toastmasters club, participating actively in sports and even pursuing a PhD. This job becomes a career allows me to possibly fulfil my dreams.

5. I would be adding value to myself. If each person has a value attached to himself and that value is based on his skills set and marketability, I would like to view teaching as an area that would increase my self-worth, whereby I would be conversant in handling sticky situations with participants.

No comments: