Monday, September 19, 2011

Meaningful Reflections?

Today, I attended a course titled 'Encouraging meaningful reflections through reflective journals (RJs)'. I am excited over the authority of being able to set questions every day for the students to answer. I am intrigued over the directive of requiring students to reflect through the day's learning. I am fascinated to know that I can read the thoughts of 25 students.

Beyond all the initial enthusiasm in deciding students' fates and grades through their RJs, I am blessed to have a job that stays close to my faith - a practice of self-reflection, a routine of writing my posts and a belief that this is for my spiritual health. This job not allows me to blog, this job wants to teach people how to blog effectively and get paid for it. 

Whilst others might have grown sceptical after reading boring / blunt / bad entries, I am filling myself with enthusiasm as to how I can shape the habits of students in my faith for blogging. Maybe other facilitators are tired about reading mindless entries by students. Maybe they are finding it difficult to sieve out the better responses from the students. But what enlightens and yet entangles me today is the following statement - "What I am looking out for in my students’ RJ response will determine the question that I actually set".

As I reflect on the higher-order level, I ask myself - Is the process of recording my thought process sufficient? Have I been blogging intelligently over the past few years? Or maybe I should just ask myself - what was I looking out in my own response that sets me out to blog?

No comments: