Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Working on my Feedback

People often carry out their work, without any feedback. Maybe it started since we were young. After we finished our exams, we seldom look back at our papers to go through our mistakes. Is it because we are already given a grade for that performance? Are we so short-sighted that we fail to see that learning from our mistakes will help us in our future exams? Maybe the childhood habit has become a life-long trait of us.

As I scored an 'A' during my Area S1 Speech Evaluation Contest, I know I still needed some feedback. Thankfully, CH voluntarily gave me 2 suggestions for improvement. I thank him for not being silent because his comments meant that he wanted me to get rid of it and probably save me from future embarassment.

Today, I focussed on one of his suggestions - to signpost my recommendations during my evaluation. An example I could use - would be "Next, may this humble engineer give you a suggestion on how you could fly even higher?" Another example could have been, "This was one of your strengths that kept your helicopter high in the air." I learnt that having an analogy at the introduction of my speech isn't sufficient. An effective analogy requires me to constantly make reference to it during the speech so that people can make ocassional connections to subject matter.

My next 'exam' awaits me. With a review of my performance, I now brace myself for the unknown.

No comments: