Thursday, October 06, 2011

Being Evaluated on Teaching

I often evaluate & teach people. Today, I was being evaluated on my teaching. It wasn't a 3-min evaluation. Afterall, I was evaluated for my entire day's worth of efforts. It wasn't easy - venturing into this unknown of facilitating a class. As much I could have prepared everything, I realised that teaching is an art that needs to be practised in order to be mastered.

The list of suggestions for improvements include:
(i) Assigning students to teams - prior to the lesson,
(ii) Walking around the class on a more frequent basis,
(iii) Using the class resources effectively, such as the speakers, to garner more attention
(iv) Letting students complete their statements before questioning them,
(v) Not giving them the answers too early nor too fast,
(vi) Checking on the students' progress throughout the meetings,
(vii) Not releasing the students too early, especially for the 1st meeting,
(viii) Noting down & rememberin the students names and their contributions,
(ix) Encouraging more discussion prior to issuing the problem statement, and
(x) Giving the students more time to ponder over my questions.

It's a long list of recommendations. Facilitation is different from public speaking. Today has been a draining but fulfilling day. With more classes to conduct, I guess I can only improve. The above list looks daunting, but I guess it's a wake-up call that I am indeed still grappling with a new skill set. As I work on perfecting an item a day, it might take quite a while before I consider myself proficient at this.

No comments: