Sunday, September 25, 2011

What's Next for Me?

Recently, I participated in the PA Humorous Speech Challenge. The objective of the Contest was to provide an avenue for members of the public to do a humorous speech, preferably with elements of jokes in a local context.

Last year was my first time having a go at this national contest. Though I generated much laughter, I was disqualified as I exceeded the time allocated by a mere 2 seconds. My mistake then was not having rehearsed sufficiently and not paying attention to the lighting signals.

This year, I decided to give it another try. My results going into this Contest wasn't as impressive as before. Last year, I was the humorous champion in both Area and Club levels. This year, I only managed to scrap through with a 3rd place during my club contest.

Knowing that my club performance isn't sufficient, I chose to re-write my speech for the recent PA Humorous Speech Contest. This year, there was a strong field of 25 contestants, with several fresh and young faces proving their talent. Giving my best shot, I squeezed some laughter out of the audience, based on a simple and structured humorous speech. That got me into the top 12, i.e. the finals, of the Contest. When the results were announced, that sense of euphoria went through my head, for I have finally achieved what I failed to attain last year.
As I get in touch with my thoughts, what I saw was a mountainous path in winning this Contest. I have become more experienced after completing an Advanced Manual on Humorously Speaking. I know what tickles people. But watching other stronger competitors speak - makes me reflect that my capability and 'weapon' - is not going to be sufficient to get myself onto the podium.

What's next for me? Do I give up? Do I persereve only to fail? Maybe I should scramble to find new weapons to fight for the summit. Or maybe I should understand that at least I have even dreamt of such an ambitious thought...

No comments: