Saturday, April 10, 2010

Man vs Food

It took me a lot of courage to try the Beijing street food. On the 1st day, as I was walking past those street stalls, I paused and took a long look at the food they sell. Afterall, I was hungry and was on the prowl for any food that could make up my breakfast. But with so many food being sold, I chose the more conventional and trusted food.

But the thought of having been to Beijing and not tried any of the unique food - came back to haunt me on the 2nd day. I plucked up the courage to order a stick of small scorpions. They come in a stick of 4. When I pointed to the scorpions, the 'chef' responded to my order. He took the stick nearest to him and put it into the hot pan. I had been looking at those sticks for some time. And when I saw that he took the nearest stick, I choked on my saliva. That stick was the only one amongst the rest which the scorpions were still alive - they were moving. Wow - the chef has given me his freshest ingredients.

I ate the scorpions. Not before I took a long stare and several shots at them. In addition, I tried 'sour milk', sheep's liver, sleeve-head fish and a bowl of octopus.

Man vs Food - I lost on the 1st day. I won on the 2nd and 3rd days. I wondered whether I would have tried the sheep's penis if I had stayed on for the 4th day.

No comments: