Sunday, April 11, 2010

Being a tutor

I have been a tutor for more than a decade.

I started giving tuition so that I can earn that extra pocket money during my National Service days. Ever since I turned 18, I was proud to say that I did not take a single cent of pocket money from my parents. Tuition got me through.

Tuition not only gave me my monthly allowances, it opened roads for me - LASIK, overseas holidays, and getting myself insured are the results of what tuition has provided me for.

Now that I am working, I do not need tuition as badly as before. Afterall, I have a stable income. Friends has told me that tuition wasn't necessary and it was 'eating' up what was left of my free time.

Tuition indeed takes up time and efforts. As much as I streamlined my efforts by organising my schedule with the tuition slots neatly, I knew that it would still need that I would have to sacrifice my Sundays. But I still made the decision to give tuition.

I knew that there are more reasons than just pocket money:
(i) I love to share my knowledge with people who are willing to learn,
(ii) I love to see them improve over time, as I nurture their sponge-like minds,
(iii) I see myself improving as a person - there are always new things I learn from them [for e.g. today, I learnt the difference between mosses and ferns],
(iv) My dream is to open up a tuition centre in the future & this is my one small step into realising that dream of mine.

I know I will continue giving tuition. There are so many reasons for me to just keep going.

No comments: