Friday, May 22, 2009

The Feeling of Volunteering

For the past week, there was a resurgence of a feeling - that I would like to participate in a overseas volunteer trip. I used to think of that. I wished that I could go overseas to a third world country, as part of a bigger group to help the poor out there. This feeling re-appeared strongly - maybe it's time for me to realise this long-lost wish.

I asked myself why I want to do such an overseas trip and here are my reasons:

1. I love traveling & this is a good way of exploring sights I could have never done on my own.
2. I want to help the poor. Assisting them could take the form of building a road, fundraising or teaching them English. In whatever ways I could contribute, this would bring a smile to my face as I would have known that I have contributed to make the world a better place.
3. I want to learn life's valuable lessons. Staying in one's comfort zone will get me nowhere. Only walking the road less traveled would I learn that even life's basic needs, such as water and food, must be treasured and appreciated.
4. I love children and I love to watch them grow. What better way is there if I could teach these appreciative kids and know that they will put the new-found knowledge to good use.
5. I want to see myself grow. Growth is one of my personal values. The best way to grow in a fun way is to challenge myself in a new environment.
6. I want to live my life. I told myself that I have a choice - to live my life or regret. I chose the former. Years down the road, I want to look back and tell myself that I have treasured each day. My children will come to me and say, 'Dad, tell us another of your stories'.

For the past week, I discovered why I want to volunteer. Do I have to know how to do it? I realise I don't have to figure it out, because the strength in my new-found passion will lead me the way.

2 comments:

Gwen Goh said...

Lets go Vietnam

Gwen Goh said...

Lets go Vietnam