Sunday, April 21, 2013

What Type of Leader am I?

13 days in a 'boot' camp leading 26 students has allowed me reflect my abilities as a leader. It's difficult to receive a consensus on how great a leader I have been, because everyone sees the same person in so many different ways. There were many situations during the day in which I take charge of the entire situation, hence I asked - where do I stand as a leader?
Just and Fair - I see myself as impartial. I give no exceptions to anyone. For e.g., there was a female student who sprained her ankle and could not receive the certification by a doctore. Not making any exceptions, I told her the requirements needed to go for the trip. I asked if I could have been stricter and more 'by the books', and the answer was a YES, though I decided to add some humanity when tackling such compassionate issues.

Leading by Example - I see myself as an explemary leader. Having stressed the importance of punctuality to them, I remembered the countless situations in which I make myself available at the meeting locations 5 minutes before the stipulated time. There was an above-average student whom I gave a tougue-lashing, because he went to buy some food and returned late during the pit stop. Maybe it was my need to justify the "if I can do it, so can you" mentality. Or was it my stickiness to compliance.

Charismatic - I believe that if the students can understand the rationale behind each activities, they will be motivated to do their best. I always believe in talking to the students, even if it is just for a minute before each meal so that they can constantly feel the importance of service-learning and be guided under a visionary leader to do their best. Somehow, I know I am not the most inspiring speaker yet, but I strive to be one. What I lack is the constant reminder to start each message on a bright note before delivering the 'content' within each speech. I guess I will eventually arrive there - as I work on my openings.

1 comment:

S.Tan said...

Hi there,

I am interested in planning for a service learning trip to Chiang Rai for my students. Could you please contact me at tan.serenahh@gmail.com as I would like to ask you a few questions. Thank you!