Sunday, April 07, 2013

Chiang Rai, here I come!

It has been a dream come true for me to complete the Service-Learning trip at Chiang Rai, Thailand. 9 months ago, my student approched me and asked if I wanted to be their leader for such a trip. From then on, work began - for the search for another leader, more students, preparatory work, liaision with the NGOs, etc. Many asked why I wanted to do it. I asked - why not? There are so many reasons why one should go for such trips.

For myself, it boiled down to these 4 main reasons:
1. I want to walk the road less traveled
I love traveling since I was young. Having visited more than 30 cities over 5 continents, I asked if there are more roads left unexplored. I wanted to view places that Singaporeans have not seen & experience culture that Singaporeans have not tried. The chance came in this village off the east of Chiang Rai. Having to transit via Bangkok just to reach Chiang Rai (CEK), the total duration from SIN to CEK took us a massive 8.5 hours. If I asked who has been to BKK, all would have raised their hands, but if I asked who has been to Phu Chi Fa, all would have asked what's that.

2. I want to learn more from other parts of the world.
Maybe it was the thought of getting more stupid that prompted to live life. Well, it worked. I wished to go for such trips ever since my university days. But I guess the lack of actions and the fear of the unknown never allowed me to take that big leap. I ever signed up for YMCA's Cambodia Volunteering Trip, but work commitments and the lack of priority prevented this dream from being realised. I know that there are endless amount of knowledge I can harness from such trips & I was right. Maybe I am now trying my best to move up the 'knowledge' ladder afterall.

3. I want to better appreciate my current life
There are times when we take the Singaporean life for granted. Living in a comsopolitan city, I asked myself if we are way too comfortable in the way we lead our lives, even quarelling over the most trivial matter. MacDonalds' over KFC, NEX over Junction 8, iPhone over Samsung, etc. I know that such trips would open my eyes to learn how the people in such villages are contented with their simple way of life. Nothing beats learning from them in a first-hand encounter.
4. I want to contribute back to the community and touch others in meaningful ways
To learn and receive was what I gained, to teach and contribute was what I gave. In short but inspiring encounters, I gave meaningful English lessons and played with children. In addition, I spoke to village chiefs, directors, university heads, etc to help each of them in whatever ways I can. To touch their lives during my journey is heartening, but for my work to help them improve their lives is my true honour.

No comments: