Monday, April 29, 2013

My Weekly Key-To-Do

I started a weekly key-to-do list - some months ago. It is a list of key tasks which I need to complete for the week. It wasn't easy at first. But I guessed it was a necessity, after I shortlisted this one main habit I need to pick up after attending the course on '7 Habits of Highly Effective People'. There were weeks in which I deviated from the task, choosing the easier way out to tackle the urgent tasks on hand on a Monday morning. There were weeks I felt demoralised because I slacked and did not follow up on any key tasks.
But I persevered. A few weeks become a few months and now, it has become a habit. Having completed my Weekly Key-To-Do early this morning, it felt like a sense of accomplishment. I have walked so far to create this newly formed habit. Have I consistently cleared all key tasks? No. But have I become a more organised person? Yes. Nowdays, I constantly look at my Weekly Tasks, tackling some of these key tasks one by one. There would always be roll-overs to next week, but at least I was conscious (and probably guilty) of the the tasks that cumulated.

This new habit did not make a Highly Effective Person overnight. In fact, it took me months to master this habit. And yet having done that, it has only made me a more organised person (because I segment my tasks according to the different priorities & categories), a more self-aware planner (because I constantly have an overview of all my key activities and deliverables), and a more efficient worker (because I would always look back at my list and avoid that possibility of doing more trivial tasks).

No comments: