Sunday, April 14, 2013

Treated like a VIP and treating VIPs

Being treated like a VIP was what I expected least. However, when I started my Service-Learning trip, I felt as I was in paradise. As I was expecting some form of hardship, I wasn't expecting for anything special. The first example came in the form of our 1st night of stay. I had visualised that I would be sleeping with the boys. Hence, when all the boys were allocated one bamboo house to sleep for the night, I was prepared to bring my sleeping bags & my baggage into the hut. However, the host kindly pointed out that both J and me can sleep in the special 'hut' meant for 2.

Other nights were no different. For e.g., all of us were given a resort to stay in for most of our nights thereafter. We were here to experience some form hardship, thus when I saw the luxury that was 'issued' to us, I asked if students were learn to experience the comfort at its most basic level. In addition, the resort owner issued a room meant for 6 people when there was only J and me. 

As if we represent a superb team of Singapore, we were brought to many places in Chiang Rai to meet important people and experience culture. We met up with a University Chancellor, another professor, 3 tourism directors, an army chief, 3 village heads, a globally-acclaimed movie director, an expert bird-watcher and the list goes on.

I wasn't sure that we should receive such VIP treatment, but I definitely had to respond in a positive manner. In many ways, I wasn't prepared - I could have been dressed more appropriately in some scenarios; I could have prepared more corporate gifts and 'better-looking' ones. But toastmasters taught me how to give impromptu speeches. Thankfully, I mastered the art of public speaking - in all situations, I seemed to have fared well. I also practised the art of small talk coupled with humour - that came in handy when I have to listen attentively and break down a Thai-conversation with simple English.

Being treated like a VIP was my honour, as words of 'thank you' were used to show my appreciation in every possible way. Treating VIPs was my learning journey, as I wondered what this unique Service-Learning Trip has given in terms of exposure and opportunities to interact with the elite from all walks of life.

No comments: