Friday, April 06, 2012

The Unlimited Potential of Shanghai (上海)

Singapore was often used as an example of a fast-growing city. Afterall, it grew from a kampung in 1965 to a concrete jungle in 35 years. HDB buildings replaced the trees whilst terrace houses replaced the Attap Houses.

But my visit to Shanghai changed my perception of how fast a city can develop. I went with my colleague who had an overseas stint in Shanghai 15 years ago. With my walking dictionary, he was able to share what had changed from the time he left as compared to the Shanghai of today.

Indeed, urbanisation has put Shanghai ahead of Singapore in terms of being labelled as a concrete jungle. 15 years ago, there was no Metro. Old 'Santana' Taxis were seen as a main mode of transport. Today, Shanghai's Metro has exploded so much that there are now at least 10 different Metro Lines. Singapore has only 4 MRT lines and I am already a confused man when it comes to traveling via the train.
Finding my way in Shanghai from one station to another means I has to try to locate the destination on the train map and then knowing how and where to change metro lines. I was finding my way out from one of the main Metro Lines - only to find myself lost within the station - because the station itself has 20 exits. Indeed, as of 2010, Shanghai's rapid transit system consists of 273 stattions and over 420 km of tracks in operation, making it the longest network in the world.
15 years has made turned this place into one of the world's biggest growth engine. I guess it wasn't an easy journey - to transform and develop this city. With a mammoth vision that started out 15 years and was quickly realised in 15 years, I wonder what is next for this already-developed city for the next 15 years. Only time will tell how Shanghai will rise above all.

No comments: