Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Shanghai welcomes the World in English

Throughout my stay in Shanghai, I realised that the city has embraced tourism and introduced the English language to as many people as possible. Allow me to evaluate their progress:

Many of the hotel staff could speak English to me. Though there was a strong tendency to switch to Mandarin the moment they knew I am a Chinese. The young in China - especially the service staff - could speak key words, without stringing them into a sentence. The taxi-drivers - rely on my Mandarin to get to the destinations. The citizens remind ignorant of the importance of English - even as Shanghai becomes an important global financial hub.

I noticed this interesting banner - in the ferry that takes us across Huangpu River. We took the ferry so that we could visit the Oriental Pearl Tower on the opposite side of the river. It's worth 250 laughs!

No comments: