Monday, April 02, 2012

Learning Points from a Travel Companion

Recently, I went on a overseas business conference in Shanghai with a colleague of mine, B. Some other colleagues has mentioned that he was not an easy person to work with. I was initially sceptical about my ability to interact with him. Afterall, I do not know much about him prior to this trip. Our interaction during the trip was brought to a more intense level after we decided to save more money by staying together in the same room - as the per diem allowances was insufficient for us to stretch our budget in the most expensive city in China.
But this trip has made us closer friends & I found out 3 good points after this friend of mine:
1. Positivity
He was always positive about the outcome of things. And this was one trait that connected me to him. Afterall, I am generally a more positive person. To find someone who can see the same side of things - is always a blessing in disguise.
2. Friendliness
In a foreign land, he greeted strangers as if they were his friends. Maybe I was in my comfort zone - being in a land where Mandarin was my link to the citizens. Maybe it was indeed his ability to connect to strangers, his willingness to make that first move - that will always enable people to welcome him without any barriers.
3. Ability to Give Praise
He was able to give praise when it is due. That always brings a smile to people's faces. It could go down to as simple as helping to book a taxi, but to have an eye to notice and the sincerity to give that compliment, it meant acknowledgement for any receiving party.

No comments: