Monday, November 29, 2010

Dinner for Schmucks - Is it just dinner?

'Dinner for Schmucks' is a 2010 screwball comedy film that manages to lighten my mood with its hilarious actions. When Tim Conrad was invited by his work superiors to a dinner they host to celebrate the idiocy of their guests, he questioned if he should attend - 'Should he attend such a nonsensical function? Does it affect his promotion? What do the bosses think of him? Can he find an idiot to attend as his friend?' Just as he was stuck in the dilemma, he coincidentally befriended a man (Barry Speck) who would be that perfect guest.
I asked - how far would one go to achieve his promotion & climb up the corporate ladder? Yes, I figured one would have to work hard. Taking the question further, (i) would one go beyond the scope of work to attend/host personal events? (ii) would one sacrifice his friend in order to impress his boss? (iii) would one make a fool out of himself in order to make his superiors laugh?

I question my commitment at work. I feel that my level of motivation at work has grown because I have grown to love this job. But I know that this is still this invisible line separating work from my personal life. I don't mix these 2 matters together. Maybe it is an Asian culture, maybe my colleagues are also practising it, or maybe I am just not ready to go beyond sharing too much details with them.

I shouldn't question myself too much. Let me just focus on my job.

No comments: