Thursday, January 06, 2011

Taitung (臺東) - Being there is enough

In Dec, we went for a Taiwan holiday. It was an experimental, educational and entertaining holiday. On day 3, we found ourselves in Taitung. After our dinner at Master Bear Resort, we were gathered around an open-air ampthitheatre. For the first time, I felt that I was in a Taiwan live show. Yes, Taiwanese shows are funny and interesting. And I find myself enjoying the performances of both the emcee and the audience.

We then wrote our wishes on a red huge lantern. They called it the 'Light Heavenly'. These lanterns were made of frames (probably thin steel wires) covered with oiled paper or tissue. Inside the lantern was a paper ball dipped in kerosene. When the paper ball inside the lantern was lit, the hot air gradually filled the lantern, and it was released to rise up into the sky. It was a lovely moment watching our lantern rise up the pitch-black sky. Amongst our lanterns were others, each written with their blessings, in the hope that these wishes would be carried into heaven where the deities will fulfill them. Will the deities fulfill ours?

We also enjoyed spectacular moments, where countless firecrackers were released into the sky. We will never enjoy such experience within close proximity of the fireworks in Singapore. In Taitung, they released the fireworks within 10 metres from where you stand. With fireworks right above my head, I could not only see, but hear, smell and feel their presence. (It reminded me of the fireworks Sy and I viewed during National Day.)

I know that being in Taiwan (and in this case, Taitung) has taught me what books wouldn't have been able to.

No comments: