Thursday, January 27, 2011

Speaking in an unfair world

I took part in the PA Humorous Speech Contest. It was the preliminary round, whereby the top 12 contestants will qualify for the finals. I gave my best shot and delivered a humorous speech. Based on the laughter created and my friends' feedback, I know I would have made it to the top 12. Alas, I was disqualified as I spoke past the maximum  allocated time for 2 seconds.

I took part in the Division S Humorous Speech Contest. It was a contest which pitched the Champion of the Area Speakers amongst each other. I gave my best and delivered a humorous speech. Based on the laughter created and my friends' feedback, I know I would have been the 1st runner-up. Alas, I was disqualified as I spoke past the maximum allocated time for 2 seconds yet again.

I took part in today's chapter meeting. It was yet another humorous speech. This time round, I deliberately deleted a segment of my speech so that I could have sufficient time to tell my jokes. I gave my best and delivered a humorous speech. Based on the laughter and my friends' feedback, I know it was a purposeful effort that lightened the meeting's atmosphere. Alas, I did not win as some other speaker was not disqualified even when he spoke past the maximum allocated time for 6 seconds.

I asked myself -  where is the fairness in this world? I believed in it, yet it didn't prove itself. Though I believe in the system of fairness, I am losing trust in the people that manages it. If the world is unfair, then am I supposed to be unscrupulous just to fight for my rights? If I am unscrupulous so that I can be fair to an unfair world, then all morals been lost in this real world?

No comments: