Sunday, May 09, 2010

Ip Man 2 (叶问2:宗师传奇)

I do not usually hear raving reviews about a movie, but this movie was a kind of its own. At least 5 friends recommended it. I tried to catch it last weekend, but was surprised that I was left with the 1st 2 rows of seats, ever when I tried to buy it 6 hours before the movie time. I finally managed to show the movie.
     Many people are not able to describe why a movie is good. It baffled me when they are not substantiate the goodness of the movie. It was until I watched the movie. Good movie it was, but I was lost for words. I could not describe why it was good.

I figured that I ought to figure out this mystery.
Ip Man's rival, Hung, decided to fight against the boxing champion, Twister. The British had earlier played him out; they refused to pay him & his clan for the hard work that they have carried out in ensuring the logistics for the boxing competition. Twister further angered the audience when his arrogant & rowdy behaviour resulted in several injuries. Hung fought for his men. He refused to give up even when he was out of stamina. He wasn't his pride that kept him going. It wasn't just for his men, but a fight for the Chinese race. Twister wasn't a man who fought with dignity. He didn't hold back and killed Hung in the boxing ring.

Ip Man decided to take up the challenge when Twister offered another chance to the Chinese for another boxing match. It was another boxing scene. This time round, despite the unfair rules, he won.

Other action-packed movies would merely simulate a bit of adrenalin. This action-packed movie touched all of us. Each punch isn't just a swinging action, but a movement for race equality, freedom of speech, justice, human equality, friendship and respect for Chinese martial arts.
     Not only did he touch the hearts of movie-goers with the above values, he portrayed himself as a leader with inspiration and integrity. I figured that I loved the movie because in Ip Man, I found a humble Superman who sacrificed himself for so many noble causes. I aspire to be like him, but can I?
(Earlier reference: My Jan 09 post on Ip Man)

No comments: