Sunday, November 02, 2008

Is love selfish?

I watched a TV drama serial recently. I guess much can be learnt from the television shows nowadays, so it's of high importance to review what shows we air. Afterall, the whole nation watches whatever shows or commercials (or propaganda) Mediacorp decides to broadcast.

In that show, I saw the selfish acts of love. For as the saying goes, if love isn't selfish, then you probably did not love him enough.

As the show develops, it turns out that love is not selfish. For the actress decided that the best way to love is to leave the actor for he will be happier going back to his ex-wife and new-born.

I reflected. I then realised that there are 2 levels of love. The basic level is that of the selfish love - the love that makes one possess the things / objects of interest. Going beyond the 1st level, is the ability to love beyond and have only the other party's best interest at heart. This unconditional love is an abstract concept that I am grappling with.

No comments: