Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Building the last house

There was this story about a old carpenter who was about to retire. He told his boss about his intention. His boss was sad to see him go. After all, the carpenter had been an experienced employee who builds good houses with fine woodwork.

His boss requested one last favour from him - to build one last house before he leaves. He paused and had some reservations, but accepted it unwillingly.

As his heart was no longer in his job, his efforts were of half-hearted nature. He did complete the house, but one could see the standards have dropped significantly. When he told his boss that the final task was completed, his boss said 'Here you go - this is my gift to you - the house'.

I thought about it. Life is all about this house we are building. The one and only house whereby we put a nail or lay a brick onto every day. Whether we did it consciously or in a haphazard manner is all up to us. Time and tide waits for no man. Put in a wrong nail, and you might need years of effort to pull that out.

I ask myself, how am I going to lay my brick today?

No comments: