Friday, April 06, 2007

Am I the SUN?

Just a week ago, I watched the DVD "Tears of the Sun" starring Bruce Willis. I wouldn't want to recommend you unless you believe in patriotism or love the art of war. But this movie got me thinking about values and purpose.

Bruce's character was a "D" in DISC. Being dominant and yet respectful, he is able to get results with his team whenever he carries out a mission. His task was to rescue Dr Lena. However, he was not able to get her out as she refuses to evacuate. Her value then was to protect the 70+ refugees. Time and time again, he has to change strategies so as to get his mission done. 1st, the hard way doesn't work. Next, he tried to align with her value and trick the refugees into the illusion of them being resecued too. He then had to strategise on how to save their lives when their plan went all wrong.

His strategic intent (vision) has never changed, i.e. to get her out. In the process, he might have to bend rules and re-align to the new conditions. However, his core competencies kept him going. They were: patriotism, courage, leadership and compassion. Do I have these values? Am I a level 5 leader?

No comments: