Sunday, June 23, 2013

Master Plan - do I have one?


I recently taught the subject on an Airport Master Plan. It is a document that charts the proposed evolution of the airport to meet future needs. An airport master plan should present the planner’s conception of the ultimate development of a specific airport and should have a planning horizon of 20 years. Hence, with that in mind, I posed the following questions to my students - what is their personal master plan?

Most failed to answer my question, not because they chose not to answer, but because they provided an answer that fell short of the requirements. 20 years? Where do you see yourself in 20 years' time? That is a big million-dollar question that most, if not all, of us have not thought about. Some shared what they hoped to achieve within the next 6 months; those who thought more about the question shared what they aim to accomplish within the next few years. Answers include pursuing university education, starting work as an aviation professional, obtaining one's driving licence, etc. Only a handful attempted to answer the question - where they envision themselves in the future.

I asked myself - do I have the answer to my question? No, I do not. Maybe that is the reason why I asked them. To spur myself to reflect more about my ultimate future. I often set short-term goals - ranging from daily tasks and weekly key-to-do lists to yearly resolutions. If you asked me what I aim to achieve in 5 years' time, I can probably give you a comprehensive answer of not less than 300 words. But if you asked me where I see myself in 20 years' time, I sense my struggle to string a sentence to answer that grand question.
Today, I shall start to dream. I guessed I don't need to have a perfect answer for that question, but I need to start finding an answer. Will I be able to dream of an answer?

No comments: