Friday, May 10, 2013

The Beaver (film) - is Speaking to Himself

The Beaver is a 2011 film starring Mel Gibson as Walter Black, a depressed CEO of a toy company. Signs of depression were evident as he refused to talk, did not get out of the house, left the company in chaos and later attempted suicide. When all failed, he found comfort in speaking to a beaver hand puppet. In actual fact, he is speaking to his other self. Whilst his 'speaking-to-oneself' syndrome is over exaggerated, I can fully understand why he needs to do that.
Yet the world perceives the art of speaking-to-oneself as an act of insanity, I asked if societal norms are the cause of this. I speak to myself often; in fact, I speak to myself less nowadays as compared to my teenage years. Back then, I was studying. My constant act of explaining concepts to myself aloud - enabled me to clarify endless concepts and achieve excellent grades.

There are countless articles and journals - proving that talking to oneself is not only normal, but might just be the highest form of intelligence. At its core, when you ask someone something you consciously articulate it. You explain it and frame the issue for the person. Most importantly however, you explain it and (re) frame it for yourself. You give direction to your other-than-conscious very clearly. Now you may question why actually articulating something gives any different result to just sitting there unspeakingly struggling with the question.
The art of speaking to oneself is percieved as an act of insanity. Walter Black received a harsh public outlash when he tried to speak to Mr Beaver to bring himself back to normalcy. Maybe the society is too stupid to move up the intellectual ladder. Yet I face a constant struggle - the need to speak to myself. Maybe that is why I have to either learn to mumble to myself or re-channel my occasional loud thoughts into this blog. Otherwise, I might soon have to find a beaver hand puppet...

No comments: