Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Job or a Career?

I asked myself - why am I getting frustrated at work lately? Why do I become irritated at how people reply me or go about doing their tasks? An Eureka moment striked me and I realised that how people treat their work will affect their outlook and attitude to work. I was simply disturbed at how they treated work as a job, and not a career.
A job is an activity through which an individual can earn money. It is a regular activity in exchange of payment. When colleagues do that, they come to work without passion. I see those lacklustre eyes of my colleagues - often finding excuses not to carry out tasks or merely carrying them out only at their convenience.

A job is carried out without feelings. Recently, I experienced colleagues who followed guidelines without interpretation. Without understanding the context of rules, which are created by humans themselves, they become mere robots - no different from a machine executing these transactions.

A job is “safe”, as stability of work and income is there. With a mentality of 'if it ain't broken, why fix it?', several colleagues are not willing to change their old working ways - when guidelines change, when efficiency calls for it, when gaps are found, etc.

A job or a career - I asked myself... Maybe as I treat this as my career, I should either change their perspective or accept that these are old dogs who will never learn new treats...

No comments: