Sunday, May 27, 2012

Flower in the Pocket (口袋裏的花)

The advantage of local films over international films is their ability to connect. As the plot is planted in a familiar environment, viewers are able to understand the storyline and empathise with the characters. Recently, I watched one such movie - Flower in the Pocket. Having won an award in the Pusan International Film Festival, this is a sonnet to people who have nothing and yet seek nothing.

The movie tells the story of two boys, Li Ohm and Li Ah, who are mostly left on their own by their father Sui who wallows in self-pity due to a failed marriage and distances himself from the rest of the world. The children, through no fault of their own, ends up also suffering in school and in society, but seemingly take joy in the little things in life.

Such settings are so real across the Causeway and we are so blessed to have grown in a protected environment. If I didn't have the fortune to have such wonderful parents, I guess I might end up:
(i) Getting pleasure from just eating Tomato Ketchup from a sachet,
(ii) Eating raw eggs with plain rice for dinner,
(iii) Spending my afternoon squatting in a canal,
(iv) Not doing homework and not interested in school,
(v) Growing up with a carefree life and without any ideals.

Growing up as a child is such an important phase. In Singapore, we complain that we give too much direction and stress to the child. But yet without any emphasis, a child would never figure out what is right nor find out what is in store later in life for him.
Maybe I should count my blessings - for the cane whips, extra lessons and assessment books that I endured during my childhood years.

No comments: