Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Discovering more about myself

One of my colleagues asked me yesterday - Why did I leave the engineering field? Afterall, I have an engineering degree and was plying my trade in a niche field of military aviation maintenance. I answered that it wasn't me to face the engineering diagrams for 8 hrs a day for the rest of my life.

As I moved on in life, I am beginning to find out more about myself. A part of me keeps reminding me that I must learn to love my job. I began on that quest years ago when I started on my first job after graduation. Till today, I am still finding the answer on how to love my job more each day. One of the answers I came up with is that I must make the job a part of me, i.e. the job should reflect my character and my character should assimilate into my jobscope.

As I soul-searched, the next question that followed was 'What is my character?' It wasn't easy to see myself. I guess it's always easy for you to see others, than for you to see oneself. But as I attempt to see my own reflection, I saw a sociable me, not a solo me. I want to be with friends. I want to network and know about the world through conversations. I want to be the spark, ready to light up the group whenever needed to. For now, I know I am one step closer to discovering more about myself. What next would I discover?

No comments: