Sunday, July 07, 2013

When Being Unfit Becomes a Reality

I knew I was gaining several pounds. With some denial, I was wishing that the extra weight gained would go away soon. But I was wrong. Afterall, food is my weak spot and I tried not to allow leftover food go to waste.

Nevertheless, I was still hoping that I can scrap through the yearly IPPT. I have been obtaining Silver for countless times. However, recently my standards have dropped to that of Pass. With no training to 'back' me up, I wasn't sure what my fitness level was. With no resolve to train, I knew I was in deep shit.
Indeed, when I took my IPPT yesterday, I failed my 2.4km run! I did everything I could, ranging from an early morning drive to pick up my running gear from office to pacing myself for every lap. I knew 2.4km would be my weakest station, but it has never been my downfall. I never failed IPPT in my life. What it meant - is that I am now classified as a FAILURE - an unfit individual.

2 seconds was what separated me from a PASS. If only I trained and exercised more, if only I controlled my weight more, if only I had my determination... Now I only blame myself.

With a few more days left to go before my deadline approaches, I asked with scepticism whether I would have that required level of fitness to pass the IPPT with a retry. Otherwise, remedial training (RT) would soon follow. RT might get me back into shape, or even to have a poke at my self-esteem. With a do-or-die mission for that re-try, I now hope for luck to pull me through...

No comments: