Thursday, February 09, 2012

Self-Centeredness

Today, I had yet another session. Instead of Tuesday with Morrie, it was Thursday with FL. He was in school today and so we lunched together. As it was a relaxed day with no lessons, we had a long lunch amidst a less crowded canteen.

One of today's topics was on self-centeredness. To start the discussion right, we first established that everyone in this world is self-centered.. (By the way, there is a difference between 'selfish' & 'self-centered'.) Without this attribute, there wouldn't be the passion to achieve your personal goal, improve your personal well-being or increase your personal wealth. Being self-centered drives us to complete tasks with eagerness & commitment.

However, that should not be the primary basis when carrying out our tasks. Instead, we should always do it for the organisation, do it for our loved ones or do it for our friends. It was mentioned that a organisation without self-centered people will sustain through time. If the leader serves the organisation in such a way his primary aim is to make the organisation succeed, then the tasks he do will be reflected through that aim. However, that does not mean he doesn't care about himself. He can still put himself second & ensure that his values are aligned to that of the organisation. Each can still find their individual meaning in carrying out such activities.

On the other hand,, if he has egocentric thoughts, then the things he does will not be for the sake of the organisation. Recently, I have encountered such a self-centered team. The self-absorbed leaders strive to achieve many personal goals - organising special segments, delivering individual speeches, achieving personal titles, boasting their positions, etc. But they have neglected to engage the members. Maybe they have forgotten that to be a good leader, one must be learn to serve.

And that is why I have chosen to distant myself away from such people. Maybe I do have that egomania in me. And maybe I am not so magnanimous. But whatever the reason, I know I have the choice to decide who I want to forge my friendship with.

No comments: