Thursday, August 26, 2010

WIN, WIN, WIN

A triple win. Many thoughts are running through my mind as I tried to calm myself down after an overdose of adrenaline injection into my body.

Winning the Humorous Speech Contest
I was crowned the humorous speech champion yesterday. Before winning the contest, I was so afraid that I would not be able to do well. Three phases of thought went through my mind: (i) I feel like quitting because I was so not prepared for this contest, (ii) I have to give it my best shot, because I have given a promise, and (iii) I have to remind myself that it doesn't have to be perfect, because this is my story that I want to share.

Winning the Evaluation Contest
This win came as a pleasant surprise. Afterall, I was competing against 6 other competent speakers and this was my maiden attempt. But I know that behind every success lies the countless number of failures. I reviewed the work I have done - trying my hands at evaluating advanced speeches, doing 5 club visits, video-taping my evaluation and working on my flaws one at a time. It was the perspiration behind my aspiration that did it.
Winning our Future together
One do not really 'win' a future. When I said that this is a 'win', I refer to the success we have at the Built-To-Order (BTO) flat selection exercise. Such an exercise is never easy. Plunging ourselves into the property market and yet being priced out of the resale market means that we left our fate in the hands of the Government's BTO scheme. With some luck and much recce, reading and research, we finally managed to lay our hands onto our dream flat.

No comments: