Monday, August 09, 2010

I have a disorder

I am still in daze. Afterall, I have just discovered that I have a sleeping disorder - nocturnal bruxism.
Most bruxers are not aware of their bruxism. In many cases, a sleeping partner or parent will notice the bruxism before the person experiencing the problem becomes aware of it. In fact, I was never aware of my problem. For I have never woke up abruptly to find myself grinding my teeth away. One possible theory is that I grind my teeth only when I am deep into my sleep.

Bruxism can result in abnormal wear patterns of the occlusal surface, abfractions and fractures in the teeth. Over time, dental damage will usually occur. It is no wonder that many dentists have told me that I have some form of dental damage due to the grinding of my teeth. I thought the straightening of my teeth with the assistance of orthodontics will cure the problem, but the truth is that it might only ease the problem by aligning all the surfaces in a straight line.

Conflicting articles have cited bruxism either as a reflex chewing activity or a habit. Wikipedia argues that it is the latter. Reflex activities happen reliably in response to a stimulus, without involvement of subconscious brain activity, and bruxism does not. All habitual activities are triggered by one kind of stimulus or another, and that does not make the habit a reflex. During sleep, the subconscious processes become active, while the higher control is inactive, resulting in bruxism. Therefore, researchers classify bruxism as "a habitual behavior, and a sleep disorder."

I do not know what the next step is for me. But the first step I have taken is to understand and accept that I am SICK - I have a sleeping discorder. The only thing I can take consolence is that bruxism is one of the most common sleep disorders and I am not alone.

No comments: