Thursday, September 24, 2009

Learning to Lead

I started this entry on a confused note. This was because whilst I am the leader of my Toastmasters Club, I feel that I am losing the ability to lead my members. Being a leader is no easy job. Whilst we only hear of success stories of great leaders, I am sure that there are a hundred failed stories for every successful one.

Art of saying NO - As a leader, I get many ideas, ranging from volunteering in external events to insistence in running things their way. I learnt that I have to stand firm and not waver in the decisions I make. I have to turn down people's suggestion in a tactical way.

Optimism - As a leader, I would face 'last-minute' surprises & 11th-hour pull-outs. Barely 6 months into my reign, I have faced countless situations of such nature. Counting back, I even had to withstand 6 such 'no-shows' from the same person. I learnt that I have to look at the bright side of things. Maybe such occurrences will make me a stronger man, as I attempt to rally my team to dream only of the positives and possibilities.
Today, I am learning to lead. As I fail, I stand up again. I am just not sure how badly I will fall the next time round.

1 comment:

Gwen Goh said...

such things happen. one thing i admire about u is your optimism. perhaps we can have a retreat in Dec.