Monday, February 28, 2011

Poor-Obsolete-Stupid-Bank (P-O-S-B)

Poor
I am actually contented if the bank stays as a poor-man's bank. I'm fine with it because I'm not exactly a rich man. However, it should be noted that there are also other commoners' banks in the local market. Moreover, I felt P-O-S-B has become poorer in terms of queue times and service standards.

Obsolete
It's becoming a white elephant with its ATMs. I thought ATMs are supposed to assist their employees in terms of automating the administrative processes. But I am often at the wrong end of broken-down ATMs - either not being able to withdraw/deposit cash or carry out any transactions. Today, I became a serious victim of it - the passbook update machine swallowed my book. No signs were given. Other passer-bys tried to insert their books into an OK-looking machine whilst I was hoping that it will spit my book out.

Stupid
I called the helpline number listed at the ATM. I seriously think the helpine is in need of a revamp. There are so many options for me to listen through, e.g. for XXX, press 1; ... ; for YYY, press 5. I had to spend 3 desperate minutes listening through the options, only to find that none is for a spoilt ATM. I waited another 5 more minutes on the helpline that seemed to need more help in their 'manning'. Finally, I was attended by an heavily Indian-accented guy who told me that the bank will mail back the book within 7 working days.

Bank
Is this a bank? I need the book for an important appointment with a government agency 3 days later. Though I doubt the government agency is any better than the bank, I am praying that there will not any screw-ups. As of now, I question the need of a bank. Afterall, the interest rates are so low that I question if the bank is doing what it was founded to do in the 1st place.

No comments: