Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a 2004 Americann romantic fantasy film about an estranged couple who have each other erased from their memories. The film won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and was lauded by critics as one of the best and most thought-provoking films of 2004.
Joel Barish wanted to erase his ex-lover, Clementine Kruczynski, from his memory. After all, Clementine has seemingly moved on with her life and has forgotten all about him already. He approached Dr Howard who has invented a process that can erase a specific event of one's life whilst he/she sleeps. As his memories are being erased, Joel finds himself revisiting them in reverse. Upon seeing happier times of his relationship with Clementine that they experienced earlier in the relationship, he struggles to preserve at least some memories of them. It was through this process of loss that he discovers that he still wants to preserve the beautiful memories of them being together.

I asked myself - Would I do these? My answer would be a strong NO, because whether these are happy or sad events, each of these events made me who I am today. And by going through these events, I have learnt how to react to them. Even if it has not made me a better person, it has made me a stronger person.

Each of us has a past that made each invididual unique. Without our past, we are just like a piece of blank paper - clean, spotless and unfulfilled. I definitely had my papers filled up and am glad for that. And should I experience lacunar amnesia one day, maybe that is why I have my blog to save me.

No comments: